Posted .

At Oakmont Family Dentists in in Oakmont, Pennsylvania we are committed to providing you with comprehensive dental care. As part of that commitment, we understand that your dental needs may not always arise during regular office hours. Emergencies are a part of life, and that includes dental emergencies. If you should find yourself in the midst of a dental emergency, you should contact our office at 412-828-3311 and we will get you in to see Dr. Todd S. Resek and Howard C. Nader as soon as possible. In the meantime, here are some things you can do to stabilize the situation.

For a tooth that has been knocked out you should clean it, but at no time should you handle it by the roots. Instead, rinse the tooth and try to put it back in the socket. Once it is in the socket you can hold it in place gently biting down on it through a clean piece of gauze. If the tooth will not go back in the socket, place it in a glass of milk, a tooth preservation solution or between your cheek and gums. Ideally, you should see a dentist within the first half hour of losing your tooth, however the tooth can remain viable for up to two hours.

If you crack or break a tooth, make an appointment to see the dentist. Until then, rinse with warm water; use a piece of gauze or a tea bag to stop any bleeding, and use a cold pack or over-the-counter product to address any pain issues.

If you lose a filling or crown, you might be able to hold in place with dental cement until your dentist can fix the problem. For a lost filling, you might be able to use dental cement to fix it, or you can purchase cotton pellets or temporary filling material from a retail store. Keep in mind however that this is a temporary fix, and will not replace a trip to the dentist. Clove oil or a topical pain reliever can be used for any discomfort.

If you sustain an injury to your lips, cheeks or your tongue, you should rinse with salt water or hydrogen peroxide, and apply gauze to stop any bleeding and use a cold compress to keep the swelling down. You should contact your dentist to see if it is necessary to come in for further treatment.