Do you have a toothache? If so, there are a few things you can do to try and relieve the pain before you take a trip to the dental office, and those five home remedies include:
1. Ice the area: When you ice the area, the nerves are numbed and the swelling is reduced, which is a great way to relieve the pain. Just put an ice cube or two into a plastic bag and place it over the gums that hurt. You can also place the ice outside the cheek that lies on top of the painful area.
2. Brush your teeth: Use a toothbrush that is perfect for sensitive teeth. Brush near and around the tooth that is hurting. You can also try flossing to free any excess food particles that might be stuck.
3. Swish with salt water: When you swish salt water, the affected area is cleansed and the liquid is drawn out of the gums to reduce the swelling. Put a teaspoon of salt in a cup of water and swish it around in your mouth for about 30 seconds. After the time is up, spit the salt water into the sink and repeat the process until your tooth is feeling better.
4. Use clove oil: Clove oil is known to relieve toothaches. If you coat a gauze pad or cotton ball with the oil and rub it over the tooth, the pain should be relieved and you should feel more comfortable and relaxed.
5. Use vanilla extract: Like clove oil, vanilla extract is known to sooth toothaches and provide a calming feeling. Pour the liquid on a cloth-like material and rub your tooth until the pain decreases.
If these home remedies do not help you, it’s time to make a call to our office. You might have a more serious problem, like tooth decay or a tooth injury, and we need to treat it as soon as possible. Call our office today and finally feel the comfort you and your smile deserve!